Essential Winter Skincare Tips
Skin looking a bit dull this winter? The icy winds and sub-zero temperatures can be disastrous for our skin so it’s important to pay particular attention during the cooler months. Below are the top tips you can put into place straight away to protect yourself from the elements this winter .
- Find Out Your Skin Type: People often confuse skin type and skin conditions. Skin type is determined by your pore size and cannot be changed, unless you go through a major hormonal change. Skin conditions are the things that fluctuate and can essentially be “fixed”. This would be black heads, breakouts, dehydration and in some cases, sensitivity. Knowing your skin type is the key to helping you fix your skin conditions and setting up a routine that works for you.
- Flexible Skin Routine: No, not so that you can wash your face only twice a week. More of a routine that includes products that can be switched, added or layered when dealing with different conditions, such as an unexpected breakout or being super dry after a long flight. Try Bamford’s Elixirs; Life, Awaken and Restore to aid in skin cell turnover and soothe and hydrate your skin. These can be layered under a mask, a daily moisturizer, or even applied to different areas on your face to treat combination skin.
- Masks: Masks are the secret to boosting your skin regimen. The Bamford Nourishing mask is a great hydrating mask that can be left on overnight or during a flight because it dries clear. Also, the Bamford Exfoliating Mask is a gentle yet effective way to exfoliate, using ingredients we all recognize such as apple, lemon, red grape and aloe to reveal baby soft skin.
- Sweat: Putting your body to work will get your blood circulating faster which will in turn help your skin. Not to mention how great you’ll feel after a good workout.
- Water: We’ve all heard it before but you have to drink a lot of water! The rule of thumb is at least half your body weight in ounces per day or about a liter and a half a day. It gets easier, the more water you drink, the more you’ll crave and your body will thank you! Remember that even though your skin is the largest organ, it gets water and nutrients last because other vital organs get first dibs.
Skincare tips from Jazmine Ramirez, esthetician at Bamford Haybarn Spa at 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge: